Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Wilhelm Scream

After a long break, I’m back posting again. While some of my time away was due to the interruptions of everyday life, I mainly used the break to write an article covering a festival of contemporary Mexican films for a local publication. It was my first journalistic piece—with interviews, too! It was a wonderful experience, and one that I hope will lead to future assignments.

Recently, a new friend sent me a link to an interesting article on The Wilhelm Scream. The “scream” was a sound effect made for the 1951 Warner Bros. film DISTANT DRUMS. The very distinctive sound, originally recorded for a scene showing a man being eaten alive by an alligator, has made its way into numerous films over the past decades, including the STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES series, Tarantino’s RESERVOIR DOGS and KILL BILL, VOL. 1, as well as PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN and the recent animated release MADAGASCAR. The article covers the history of the ubiquitous scream, and speculates on the actor who originated the sound effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home