Thursday, April 28, 2005

All About Region Codes

Recently, I received my first magazine writing assignment; my task being to write about an upcoming showcase of contemporary Mexican films at my local museum. In preparation for my article, I received dvd "screeners" of the films included in the showcase. Unfortunately, most of the dvds came from Mexico and were coded as "Region 4"--and unplayable on my dvd player.

I only knew the vagaries of region coding, basically, that dvds from other countries cannot play on my "Region 1" dvd player. After a quick search, I found this informative article that explains region coding and why the system is in place, as well as details who benefits (movie studios) and who gets screwed (consumers) by this arrangement. You can read the full article here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home