Thursday, September 09, 2004

Movie Rentals, Week of 8/30/04

After spending a week wrestling with a wicked case of PMS, I really needed a good laugh. Here is what I watched:

OLD SCHOOL (2003) Starring Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn, Old School follows three, thirty-something guys as they revert to their college ways and set up the perfect frat house on campus. I hate to categorize films by gender, but this is probably more of a “guy comedy”, but that doesn’t mean I did not enjoy the laughs. I’m also a big fan of Vince Vaughn, so that helped a lot!

RAISING ARIZONA (1987) This is one of my favorite Coen Brothers film. Raising Arizona features Nic Cage and Holly Hunter as a childless couple who kidnaps a baby, and a wacky group of characters that try to steal the baby back for the reward money. I’ve seen this film so many times, yet there is always a detail that I’ve either missed or forgotten that will crack me up. This time, a character asks if a bag of balloons blow up into funny shapes. The clerk deadpans, “Not unless you think round is funny.”

WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (2001) This is one of those films that you either love or hate—the satire is so broad that it can be either the funniest thing ever, or the stupidest. Count me in on the love. Created by the guys that brought us television’s THE STATE, American Summer follows kids and their camp counselors on the last day of summer camp, 1981. Every camp film from MEATBALLS (1979) to LITTLE DARLINGS (1980) is mined for comedy gold, and like Raising Arizona, the big laughs are in the little details. You’ll find yourself quoting the dialogue long after the movie ended. The stellar cast includes Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Michael Showalter, Paul Rudd, and Christopher Meloni.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home